FOREST CARBON SPECIALIST
PT Gaia Eko Daya Buana (Gaia) is a national consulting company that sought to build high idealism and integrity in realizing a world with equity and sustainable environmental management. As our name reflects our philosophy in ecological system, Gaia (the Goddess of Earth) focuses our services in delivering innovative solution in sustainable natural resources management. Our approach that combines spatial analysis, ecological modeling, social development, institutional capacity building, and valuing climate services, is supported with experienced human resources including anthropologist, forester, biologist, soil scientist, and GIS & Remote Sensing experts.
Gaia was established in 2007, and has been supporting clients in sustainable certification assessment (i.e. HCV, HCSA, RSPO, SEIA, SBIA, SIA), developing carbon project (i.e. carbon stock assessment, due diligence, feasibility study, Project Description/Project Design Document development), assessing social, economic and cultural values (i.e. FPIC, ethnography, social-risk assessment), and implementing international fund program (i.e. MCAI, FIP).
As forest carbon specialist, you will ensure the highest quality of carbon assessment by your team, and deliver high-quality carbon project documents (i.e. Project Idea Note, Project Description, Project Design Document) following the latest national (SNI) and international standards (i.e. VCS, CCB, Plan Vivo, ART trees, AR CDM, ISO). You will also lead the development of high-quality proposals and participate in business development activities
The general responsibilities for this position include:
1. Lead carbon project assessment, including preliminary assessment, due diligence, risk assessment, and feasibility study.
2. Lead the development of proposals and participate in business development activities.
3. Develop project documents (i.e. Project Idea Note, Project Description, Project Design Document) following the latest national and international standards (i.e. VCS, CCB, Plan Vivo, ART trees, A/R CDM).
4. Assist in the implementation of carbon project including the validation and verification process, and annual monitoring reports.
The main tasks for this position include:
1. Development of proposals related to carbon project, nature-based solutions, carbon offsetting, and climate change
2. Development of carbon project due diligence (DD), Project Idea Note (PIN), Preliminary Feasibility Study (Pre-FS), Project Description (PD), Project Design Document (PDD), and other relevant documents based on the eligible standards and methodology such as latest national and international standards (i.e. VCS, CCB, Plan Vivo, ART trees, A/R CDM, HCSA, etc.;
3. Review existing project documents and relevant articles and visiting the project site if necessary;
4. Assure appropriate methodology and fieldwork of data collection on forest carbon;
5. Evaluate the progress on forest carbon data collection and provide inputs if necessary;
6. Provide quality assurance on the collected data from the field as well as analysis the data for specific purposes;
7. Communicate with other teams within Gaia as well as relevant partners and stakeholders on Gaiaâ€™s related project;
8. Ensure that the work meets desired objectives, impacts and outcomes;
9. Ensure forest carbon outcomes of all projects will be achieved;
10. Attending relevant meetings and workshops if needed;
11. Assist in the implementation of carbon project including the validation and verification processes, and develop annual monitoring reports.
12. Undertake any additional task required by line manager.
1. At least 3 years of relevant work experience in climate change adaptation and mitigation initiatives.
2. Relevant experience on forestry carbon projects and payments for ecosystem services in international carbon markets and projects under different standards such as VCS, CCBS, Plan Vivo, and A/R CDM
3. Good technical understanding of climate mitigation standards including compliance and voluntary i.e. CDM, VCS, CCBS, Plan Vivo and willing to complete the knowledge gap in this aspect.
4. Understanding of NDCâ€™s, Paris agreement and relevant international conventions
5. Involvement in, or at least understanding, of the implementation and development of REDD+ and AFOLU (Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use) projects, assessment of carbon methodologies, coordination of carbon projects and Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) mechanisms.
6. Experience in managing data including data collection, consolidation and reporting as well project management.
7. Experience in working with different actors and decision makers, including smallholders and rural communities.
8. Experience in stakeholder consultation for carbon projects as well as the analysis of the agents and causes of deforestation, which will serve for the projectâ€™s baseline establishment and the validation of the projects.
9. Thirst to continuously absorb knowledge and gain climate mitigation technical know-how, as well as supervision/management skills in the fields of agriculture, forestry and other land use and nature-based solutions (NBS).
10. Have an advanced network of potential clients, collaborators, or other relevant stakeholders, would be a plus.
11. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in English.
1. Relevant university degree, master degree preferable.
2. Strong organizational and process management skills
3. Strong analytical skills. Experience in data analysis, modeling, and statistical tools important
4. Strong passion for the forest and our environment, will to collaborate with the development of practical solutions for environmental and socio-economic issues.
5. Proven ability to work remotely
6. Good communication in English, fluent preferable.
7. Willingness to travel
What We Offer
1. Work for a purpose, grow expertise, opportunities, and support for you to advance your professional growth
2. Become a member of a diverse, highly skilled, multi-functional team that is eager to collaborate and change the world
3. Entrepreneurial environment open for your ideas and initiatives
4. A fair compensation package that reflects your skills and experience
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all the requirements for the role.
Please send your CV and application letter to email@example.com
with subject matter: Forest Carbon Specialist.